- Center for Graduate Studies of Asheville »
- Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary »
- Hickory: See below
For the Hickory campus, call 828-328-SNOW (828-328-7669). Notices will also be posted on this page if there are inclement weather conditions and closing announcements.
(Note: Administration and staff should also refer to the Inclement Weather Policy in the non-academic employee handbook).
1. Class Cancellations. The cancellation of classes for an entire day will occur only under the most severe weather conditions
2. Delayed Schedule. If weather conditions warrant, the University may adopt a delayed class schedule for the day with shortened class periods according to the following plan:
MWF Delayed Class Schedule
Regular Start Times
11:40 a.m.-12:20 p.m.
12:30 p.m.-1:10 p.m.
Return to Regular Schedule
T/R Delayed Class Schedule
11:00 a.m.-11:50 a.m.
Return to Regular Schedule
- 3:00 p.m. Eucharist held at the usual time.
- On-campus meals. On days when classes are canceled or delayed, breakfast will be delayed and available for residential students beginning at 8:30 a.m.
- Library. If at all possible, the library will be open during inclement weather from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 2:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Sundays.
Please note: During the delayed class schedule, the traditional 10:00-10:50 block may be used for convocation and chapel on MWF. (Activities should be shortened to end by 10:40 a.m. to furnish students time to make their 10:50 classes.) Students should refer to the L-R website to determine if scheduled events have been canceled.
3. Commuting Students. During periods of inclement weather when the University operates either on a delayed schedule or on a regular class schedule, commuting students who are unable to attend classes due to road conditions will not be penalized. Commuting students should exercise good judgment in deciding whether to attempt to travel to the campus and are encouraged not to do so when conditions might threaten their safety. It is fully the responsibility of commuter students facing this situation to promptly contact their instructors directly to indicate the reason for their absence and to request assistance concerning course materials pertinent to keeping current with the class.
4. Evening and Graduate School Classes.
- Delays. Morning delays will not affect Evening and Graduate School classes starting at 4:00 p.m. or later. These will begin at their regular times and will meet for the full class period.
- Cancellations. In the event of inclement weather during late afternoon or evening, Evening and Graduate School classes may be canceled. Students should call the LR Information Line, 328-SNOW (328-7669), and listen to radio/TV stations (as indicated below) for information.
- Rescheduling. In the event that late afternoon or Evening and Graduate classes are canceled due to severe weather conditions, the instructor will reschedule the missed session at a time that is mutually convenient for the instructor and students.
5. Information. The LR community can receive information about the status of the daily schedule on inclement weather days through the following means:
The University Marketing and Communications Office will notify regional TV stations: WBTV (Channel 3); WSOC-TV (Channel 9); WCNC (Channel 36) and local radio stations; WHKY (1290 AM); WNNC (1230 AM) and WIRC (630 AM) if classes will be canceled or if the University will operate on a delayed class schedule.
The University Provost will advise the University Switchboard of the status of the schedule.
Students may call the Lenoir-Rhyne Information Line at 328-SNOW (328-7669) to learn if classes are canceled or if the University is operating on a delayed class schedule.
The announcement board in the Cromer Center will post the daily schedule when classes are delayed or canceled.
6. Instructor Notice. Instructors who are unable to attend classes because of hazardous road conditions will notify the Office for Academic Affairs (328-7112) and leave a message on voice mail so that students may be informed.
7. Staff Policies. During inclement weather days, the University administration and staff shall follow the most current "Interruptions Due to Weather" Policy as stated in the Non-Academic Employee Handbook.